I am obsessed with design, I want to learn and know more about it. A few days ago, and through an unusual source, I hit gold.
Dieter Rams (for those who don’t know) is a German industrial designer, associated with the design of products for Braun and Vitsœ. Dieter states the ten most important principles of good design:
- Good design is innovative
- Good design makes a product useful
- Good design is aesthetic
- Good design makes a product understandable
- Good design is unobtrusive
- Good design is honest
- Good design is long-lasting
- Good design is thorough down to the last detail
- Good design is environmentally-friendly
- Good design is as little design as possible
Have a look at the original page. Look at how these principles have morphed into elegant products. Each principle has also been elaborated in detail.